[PLUG] USB Serial Port Adapters

Tim Wescott tim at wescottdesign.com
Fri Jun 17 23:37:04 UTC 2011

Is there a way to map specific USB serial port adapters to specific
device names?

As far as I know, as I plug USB serial port adapters into the system
they'll appear as ttyUSB0, ttyUSB1, etc., in the order that I plug them in.

But I want to have them show up as "ttyUSBcamera", "ttyUSBdata_aq",
etc., or something similar -- so that when I plug in a _specific_
hardware device, it maps to a specific device in the /dev directory.

Is there a way to do this?  Looking at lsusb for the devices (all FT232
at the moment, but who knows?) the only unique thing is the serial
number.  Is there a configuration file that I can use to associate
hardware serial numbers with specific devices in my /dev directory?

Thanks.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services