[PLUG] What opens an .xml file?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Jun 30 15:09:24 PDT 2011

I need an article that was published in volume five of a five volume set
"The Blackwell companion to syntax." I had to order the book through
interlibrary loan, and it has arrived. Imagine my surprise to discover
that, instead of receiving volume five, I received a CD.

Nautilus opened the CD just fine on my Fedora 14 x86_64 computer. And
the article I need is right there in the file browser window. However,
it is titled "Chapter 75 - Verb particle constructions.xml."

Double-clicking on it made Fedora try to open it in Gedit. That was not
a good choice. I tried opening it in Firefox, for some reason thinking
that .xml files had something to do with html. I was wrong. Then I
dimly recalled that OOo uses xml, so I tried opening it in Writer.
Writer opened it, but all I got was pages and pages of what looks like
code, interspersed with what appears to be the text of the article.
It's there, but an unreadable mess.

Google informs me that xml is Microsoft's new open document format. OK,
I don't have MS Office, but back to OOo for further checking. It turns
out that in OOo (3.3, from OOo, not Fedora repos) I can do File > Open
New > XML document. However, there appears no way to open an existing
xml file.

So now I'm all gestumped.

I could always schlep the CD back to PSU, open it on a PSU computer
with MS Office, and save as something else. But surely I won't have to
do that.

Does anyone have any suggestions?