[PLUG] What opens an .xml file?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Jun 30 18:41:58 PDT 2011

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 18:35:43 -0500
Fred James <fredjame at fredjame.cnc.net> dijo:

>Somewhere in the base (root) directory of the CD filesystem, there
>should be an index.* (where * could be html, xml, or some variant
>thereof), and you should be able to open the index.* with a browser
>and go from there (i.e., open other "chapters" via links, similar to
>standard html documents).
>If it isn't named index.*, it may be named something that indicates it
>is the first or primary document.
>Does that work?
>
>The rules of xml are such that the files/documents are often used to
>contain data in an specified manor ... the manor being specified by
>the program/application/document that is intended to use that data ...
>in other words, any one xml file may well not be complete without the
>program/application/document that is intended to access it.

Your suggestion had me very excited. There are, indeed, several suspect
files in the root of the CD such as you mentioned:

	Chapter - Index.xml
	Chapter - Reference.xml
	Contents.htm
	prelims.xml

Of the above list, Firefox will only open Contents.htm. And it shows
each of the chapters as a link. I thought I was home free. But opening
the link resulted in the following error message:

XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
Location:
file:///media/Mar%2031%202006/BW_syncon/chapter%2076%20-%20Verb%20Particle%20Constructions.xml
Line Number 15, Column 12:<copyright>&copy; 2006 by Blackwell
Publishing Ltd</copyright> -----------^

I also tried Opera. Opera opens Contents.htm the same as Firefox, but
clicking on the link for the chapter I need gave me the same garbled
code interspersed with the text, with this at the top of the page:

This document had an invalid XSLT stylesheet. Error message from the
XSLT engine: Error: XPath expression compilation failed:
$t/*[name()=$FullContentCode][last()] Details: compilation error
(characters 1-2, "$t"): reference to undefined variable: 't'

I wonder if there is something wrong with the files.

It's not worth spending a huge amount of time on this, other than
satisfying my curiosity as to how this is supposed to work. If I can't
figure it out by tomorrow, I'll take the CD to the PSU library and ask
them to figure out how to open the files. And if they can't figure it
out I'll request a copy from a different library on *paper*.