[PLUG] What opens an .xml file?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Jun 30 20:42:10 PDT 2011

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 20:57:58 -0500
Fred James <fredjame at fredjame.cnc.net> dijo:

>It is possible that the file(s)/CD is/are corrupt (is it a copy or the
>original disc?).
>It is possible that some file(s) is/are missing
>It is possible that some application is missing
>Are any of the files *.exe?
>Since you are going to take it in and see if they can open it ... I
>should be interested in the results, if you are inclined to share them

I certainly will share the results.

The CD itself is printed with the title, etc. and the Blackwell
Publishing logo. It also has a section in fine print that says:

"Instructions:
Insert the disk into your CD-ROM drive and double click on your desktop
CD-ROM icon. With a Windows operating system the CD will open to a
display showing the contents, with _The Blackwell Companion to Syntax,
Vols 1-5_ at the top. On a Macintosh there will be a picture of the
cover of the book and a notice saying "Start CD" which will bring you
to the display of the contents. You must have an internet browser such
as Microsoft Internet Explorer, Safari, or Netscape Navigator
installed."

Note that the (c) on the CD is 2006. The original book is (c) 1997.

Looking at the CD I noted some small sneeze globs on the back. I washed
the CD in plain tap water until it was shiny and clean and then tried
again. Same results. :(