[PLUG] What opens an .xml file?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Jun 30 21:35:12 PDT 2011

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 20:50:02 -0700
Tim <tim-pdxlug at sentinelchicken.org> dijo:

>It is possible that the index XML file is trying to pull in other
>files on the CD by name and is breaking because of a case-difference.
>In Windows, of course, files can be accessed case-insensitively, but
>Linux doesn't work that way, so if a file is referenced with an
>inconsistent case, it won't find it.  The work-around there would be
>copying the directory tree out and fixing the broken references, which
>is a pain of course.  If you look in firefox at the error console, it
>might tell you what files it wants that aren't found.
>
>Just a hypothesis...

Well, I have a partial solution, although it leaves questions
unanswered.

I have Windows 2000 installed in Virtualbox on my Fedora 14 x86_64
computer. So I fired it up and opened the Contents.htm file by just
double clicking on the file. This opened it in Internet Explorer. I
navigated to the Chapter 76 ... .xml file link and clicked on it. This
opened the link in a new IE window, and it appeared readable and
without code junk.

I made a printout of it, so now I have a legible hard copy. The only
problem is that the chapter in the paper version of the book is 22
pages and the file I made a printout of is 55 pages. So if I ever want
to quote the work I am in trouble with page numbers. But at least now I
can read it.

The unanswered question is why Firefox, Opera and Konqueror would
display the contents by clicking on Contents.htm (the same as IE in
Win2000), but would not correctly open the resulting link to Chapter
76. Your hypothesis that Contents.xml is trying to pull in other files
on the CD and failing is certainly plausible. And the case sensitivity
is a good theory as well, since it happens equally with three different
browsers on Fedora. But I wonder if MacOS is also case sensitive. If
so, that throws out the case sensitivity theory, since (presumably) it
works on a Mac.

The error could also be javascript. The link in Contents.htm is:

javascript:makewindow('Chapter 75 - Verb Particle Constructions.xml')