[PLUG] yum update, exclude single files?

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Wed Mar 2 17:26:22 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 07:42:17 -0800
Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:

> I run a Redhat clone (Scientific Linux 5).  It uses "yum" for
> updates.  I know how to exclude packages from update, but how
> do I exclude single files?
>
> In this case, /etc/X11/xorg.conf .  I am using the fglrx driver,
> which although closed source (sigh) is about 20x faster
> (glxgears) than the open source r500 driver for ATI graphics
> chips. The update package for x11 wants to update xorg.conf for
> me, and force me to use r500, bless its pointy little head.
>
> I can probably set the file to read only and chattr it to
> immutable, but yum might get vexed, now or after some future
> update of yum itself.  I probably could track down the bozo
> who decided to include xorg.conf in the update process, and
> thrash the living daylights out of him, but people would talk.
>
> Keith

To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to exclude a single
file from being updated.  I'm afraid that making the file
read-only and immutable is probably your best bet.  Yum may pitch
a fit, but it'll just have to live with the situation.

I would file a bug report with whoever maintains Scientific Linux.
Yum is not supposed to overwrite config files.  If a new config
file is needed, yum will install it, but that file will have a
name ending with ".rmpnew".  Yum should _NEVER_ delete your old
config.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.  :-(

--Dale

--
The Dilettante's Version of the Three Laws of Thermodynamics:
One:  You Can't Win.