[PLUG] yum update, exclude single files?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Mar 2 18:17:06 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 09:53:05AM -0800, Daniel Hedlund wrote:
> The only pre/post install script I see that would get executed when
> Xorg is upgraded via yum/rpm is in the xorg-x11-server-Xorg package.
> The package includes code that could overwrite your xorg.conf file
> with an older XF86Config* config file, but only if the permissions on
> the xorg.conf file are messed up, specifically if it's modded 000 or
> 066 (an [ -r xorg.conf ] test would return false and trigger a
> subsequent copy operation, see below):

Good point, but AFAIKS, the permissions on the file remained 644
from July 2010 right up until it was modified on February 18.
Whatever it was, it did it twice, because it also overwrote
xorg.conf.backup (!).  Fortunately, I have nightly backups for
years, and I also make copies of my xorg.conf file, ( i.e.,
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.20100705 ) every time I mod the file.  The
main annoyance was figuring out what was going on.  The subsequent
slow behavior was mostly evident in Firefox, so I spent way too
much time trying to diagnose that.

I don't like mysteries - if the nightly updates did not do this,
then something nasty is occuring.

Keith