[PLUG] 32-bit vs. 64-bit: Decision Criteria

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Thu Mar 3 23:43:17 UTC 2011

On Thu, 3 Mar 2011, Aaron Burt wrote:

> I'm in the process of eliminating all 32-bit servers in my racks.

Same here. 64-bit server installations have been my default for three
or four years. Installing a 32-bit Linux on a dedicated server
requires a clear, uncontestable justification. Installing a 32-bit
Linux in a virtual server container has a lower bar for justification.

Unfortunately, our Windows servers are still 32-bit because the
application vendors with whom we do business still recommend them.