[PLUG] Scientific Linux 6.0

Sam Hart criswellious at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 16:51:15 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 7:45 AM, Bill Thoen <bthoen at gisnet.com> wrote:
> On 3/3/2011 10:13 PM, MJang wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> FWIW, with little fanfare, Scientific Linux 6.0 was released today.
>> Hasn't even shown up on my Linux newsfeeds yet. It's the "rebuild" of
>> Red Hat Enterpri se Linux 6, built from Red Hat source code.
> What makes it  "scientific"?  It doesn't believe in faith-based coding?
> ;-/)/

Actually, if you take a look at the recent direction RHEL has been
taking in their kernel patches, you're not too far off:
http://lwn.net/Articles/430600/

But seriously, SL exists basically as a recompilation of RHEL (from
source) done by Fermi Labs, Cern, et al. It effectively is very much
like CentOS, except geared more towards use in Scientifically minded
institutions.

For the most part, like CentOS they remain compatible with upstream.
The one major customization they do make is the ability to create
these things called "sites", which can sort of be thought of as
one-off forks where you might need to make some sort of in-house
modification to the core distro (see
https://www.scientificlinux.org/about/customize). In that regard, you
can think of SL as a base-distro from which you could build a custom
distro from.

                                      ---Sam