[PLUG] Upgrade Options

Kirk Goins kirkgoins at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 21:23:32 UTC 2011

I have a Mandrake 8.x server. Not much there, some basic HTTP stuff and an
FTP Server.  I am finding I am having problems with large DVD sized files.
I'm not a Linux person, but was able get this box running and pretty secure
as I don't 'think' it has been hacked over the years. And right now it stays
off unless I need it.

I am assuming, I need something ( file system? ) a little newer than what
this box has today.  What would be good 'basic' distro that will so the
above. On the Mandrake box the minor tweaks are done via linuxconf, WebAdmin
or even MidnightCommander. I don't trust putting a Windows based FTP or HTTP
server directly on the net.
Thoughts for someone not wanting to get too geeky and done in the guts of
Linux?
Thanks
--
Kirk