[PLUG] MicroSD card is read only

Bill Barry bill at billbarry.org
Sun Mar 6 05:31:19 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 7:17 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 16:28:18 -0800
> Bill Barry <bill at billbarry.org> dijo:
>
>>On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 4:06 PM, Alex Young <alexander.young at gmail.com>
>>wrote:
>>> Any dmsg or syslog output interesting when you insert the card?
>>>

>>Also can you tell us what /etc/fstab looks like.  There could be
>>something funny going on in the automount.
>
> I don't get anything very interesting from dmesg. It just notes that it
> is automounted read-only, or that I have removed it. Nor do I see
> anything exciting in fstab:
>
>        [root at Devil8]# cat /etc/fstab
>        # /etc/fstab
>        # Created by anaconda on Tue Dec  1 22:52:45 2009
>        UUID=3b657fa8-2f02-43ee-98a9-8056bf2bca0f /boot
>                ext3  defaults  1  2
>        /dev/mapper/vg_devil8-lv_root /  ext4 defaults  1  1
>        /dev/mapper/vg_devil8-lv_swap swap  swap defaults  0  0
>        tmpfs  /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0  0
>        devpts  /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620   0  0
>        #devpts options modified by setup update to fix #515521 ugly way
>        sysfs   /sys sysfs   defaults   0  0
>        proc   /proc   proc defaults 0  0
>
> I don't know what the "ugly way" is. But then, this is Fedora.
>
> According to dmesg the device name is 6236-3638, so maybe I could add a
> line to fstab so it will automount at a specific location (like the
> folder I made for it in /media), and as read-write.
>
> I would say it is a permissions issue, except that root can't touch the
> thing either. And I mean as # from the command line, not via sudo.
>
> Tomorrow afternoon I am going to take the phone and my computer to the
> Activate store at the LLoyd Center where I got the phone. They won't
> touch the computer, I am sure, but they should be able to tell me if I
> am doing something wrong with the phone, causing the phone not to mount
> the card. And if they can get the thing mounted read-write, how I am
> supposed to copy files to it. Froyo is still very confusing.

I doesn't look like Ubuntu is using fstab to do the automounting. Your
idea about putting your own entry there is worth a try.

Android has a menu button along the bottom.  When you are looking at
the desktop, this menu button will bring up  a "Settings"  button
which will lead you to the SD Card settings. There is a place in the
SD Card settings  to determine what state the SD card is in and to
format it if needed.

Once it is formatted, you can plug a USB cable from the phone into
your laptop. Now I don't have exactly your phone, but it should be
similar. At that point it will say "USB connected" on the phone, you
will see a new icon on the status bar. You can pull down the status
bar, click on the USB Connected item and say "Turn on USB Storage".
Shortly thereafter your laptop will see the phone as a USB storage
device and you can mount it and copy files to it.

You could also physically move the SD card back and forth, but
mounting it via a USB cable is quicker.

Bill