[PLUG] MicroSD card is read only

Bill Barry bill at billbarry.org
Mon Mar 7 04:03:01 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 7:38 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
> Well, I filled it up with the card in the phone using the USB
> connection. It worked reasonably quickly, considering that the card is
> only Class 2. It continues to work in the phone, although sometimes
> apps don't see it correctly. For example, the media player announces
> "SD card not available," and then proceeds to show and play all the
> files on it anyway.
>
> However, when I put the card in the adapter and slide it into my Fedora
> 14 Thinkpad it still always automounts as read-only. I haven't figured
> out how to fix that, but since I now have it filled up with music it
> matters only out of curiosity.

The phone will say "SD card not available" if you have it mounted as a
USB device on the laptop. Either the phone has control or the laptop
has control. They both can't see the SD card at the same time. Is that
what you are seeing?

If the phone and Ubuntu are both having  trouble with the SD Card
maybe it still has problems with formatting/partitioning. Is the
formatting still grayed out in the SD card settings on the phone.
If not, you could have the phone format it again. You will lose your
mp3's, but you can copy them back. If it is not stable you might lose
them anyway  at some inopportune time.

This page might shed light on the problem
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mount/USB
Particularly the section titled
USB-Device is, or become suddenly read only without errors

Bill