[PLUG] MicroSD card is read only

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Mar 7 04:45:00 UTC 2011

On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 20:03:01 -0800
Bill Barry <bill at billbarry.org> dijo:

>On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 7:38 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>
>wrote:
>> Well, I filled it up with the card in the phone using the USB
>> connection. It worked reasonably quickly, considering that the card
>> is only Class 2. It continues to work in the phone, although
>> sometimes apps don't see it correctly. For example, the media player
>> announces "SD card not available," and then proceeds to show and
>> play all the files on it anyway.
>>
>> However, when I put the card in the adapter and slide it into my
>> Fedora 14 Thinkpad it still always automounts as read-only. I
>> haven't figured out how to fix that, but since I now have it filled
>> up with music it matters only out of curiosity.
>
>The phone will say "SD card not available" if you have it mounted as a
>USB device on the laptop. Either the phone has control or the laptop
>has control. They both can't see the SD card at the same time. Is that
>what you are seeing?

The music player app says "SD card not available" always. I finished
copying the files via USB last night and the phone has not been
connected to the computer since. Yet it still says "SD card not
available."

>If the phone and Ubuntu are both having  trouble with the SD Card
>maybe it still has problems with formatting/partitioning. Is the
>formatting still grayed out in the SD card settings on the phone.
>If not, you could have the phone format it again. You will lose your
>mp3's, but you can copy them back. If it is not stable you might lose
>them anyway  at some inopportune time.

Under SD Card in Settings "total space," "available space," and "format
SD card" are grayed out. The only one lit up is "unmount SD card." But
if I unmount it then "mount SD card" and "format SD card" become
available.

I unmounted it, but then I decided not to follow through and reformat
it. But after mounting it again the music player no longer says it is
unavailable.

The computer is Fedora, not Ubuntu, and it still mounts it as
read-only. I care only because I'd like to get another regular size SD
card and just leave it in the laptop as additional storage. But there
seems to be a problem with the card reader in Fedora 14.