[PLUG] Recommended Routers

nathan w nathan at nathanewilliams.com
Sat Mar 12 02:45:40 UTC 2011

On 03/11/2011 05:59 PM, wes wrote:
> I hate netgear and linksys seems to generally get better over time. I'm
> unthrilled with the way cisco (which owns linksys now) kind of shirked their
> open source responsibilities, but that doesn't change that the hardware
> works well.
>
> For clearer perspective, I'm in the IT manager in a company employing about
> 300 people who work at home on a VOIP phone. Each of them have a router of
> their own choosing and I get to deal with all the various brands of
> weirdness that each one brings. None have been perfect, but Netgears have
> been the worst and Linksys' have been the .... well, least bad.
>
> -wes

as a contrasting opinion, i've had 2 linksys wrt54g2 routers go bad on
me in 2 1/2 yrs. i recently picked up a DLink Xtreme N for $79 at Fry's
(http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=530), and have been very impressed
w/ the admin UI, feature set, signal strength, etc. both of the
wrt54g2's i had would routinely drop clients who were transferring large
amounts of data, and i haven't had that problem since getting this new
router.

this is the first non-linksys i've owned, as my first linksys, the
wrt54g, was solid enough to inspire some brand loyalty, but 2 duds in a
row sent me looking elsewhere. the dlink has yet to stand the test of
time, but initial impressions are very favorable.

anyways, good hunting.

regards,

nathan