[PLUG] Algorithm's and Compilers PSU...

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Sun Mar 27 20:18:55 UTC 2011

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011, Michael C. Robinson wrote:

> Mark is a very demanding teacher, a foreign teacher, and perhaps for
> that reason an unrealistic teacher for an actual Oregonian.  I'd
> love to learn what he has to teach, but I don't seem to have the
> proper background.  I don't want to beat my head against the wall
> trying to compete with foreigners who do have the proper background.
> There is a serious fairness issue in my opinion.

Mark Jones has been teaching computer science in Oregon (and to
"actual Oregonians") for quite a long time, first at OGI and then PSU.
I've never been his student, but I've worked with him, and have found
easy to understand, willing to back up and explain, and extremely
approachable.

I've certainly never found his British backgound to get in the way of
his communication.

I do suspect he falls squarely on the science side of the "computer
engineering vs. computer science" debate, so he's going to demand you
understand the theoretical and mathmatical underpinnings of the field.
I further suspect that many would consider his approach quite
appropriate for a university-level education.

Declaring him to be a roadblock to your education isn't fair to him,
and probably doesn't serve your interests very well either.