[PLUG] Setting up Linksys WRT54GL

Ken Stephens kens at cad2cam.com
Mon Mar 28 01:19:59 UTC 2011

Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Mar 2011, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>

>> The number of possible permutations in the settings, even eliminating the
>> ones that are obviously irrelevant, is staggering. I could spend the rest
>> of my life trying things.
>>
>     What the heck, John? It's raining and will continue to do so. Might as
> well try things.
>
> Rich

John,

Set you wireless on it's own subnet in front of your other router.  The
subnet should be different from your current subnet.  If your current
subnet is 192.168.0.0, the make the LAN subnet 192.168.1.0/24.

Have it receive the signal from your DSL/CABLE modem.

Assign an IP to your router/firewall.

Allow the wireless router to run dhcp for the subnet in a range of 100+

Leave your current router setup as usual but set it's WAN IP as the IP
you assigned it in your wireless.

This gives you a firewalled wired network and still gives you
flexibility to have ad hoc wireless connections.  Of course, you could
have a MAC access list and WEP encryption.

Or am I missing something here?

Ken
CAD 2 CAM