[PLUG] Setting up Linksys WRT54GL

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Mar 27 19:31:03 PDT 2011

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 18:19:59 -0700
Ken Stephens <kens at cad2cam.com> dijo:

>Set you wireless on it's own subnet in front of your other router.
>The subnet should be different from your current subnet.  If your
>current subnet is 192.168.0.0, the make the LAN subnet 192.168.1.0/24.
>
>Have it receive the signal from your DSL/CABLE modem.
>
>Assign an IP to your router/firewall.
>
>Allow the wireless router to run dhcp for the subnet in a range of 100+
>
>Leave your current router setup as usual but set it's WAN IP as the IP
>you assigned it in your wireless.
>
>This gives you a firewalled wired network and still gives you
>flexibility to have ad hoc wireless connections.  Of course, you could
>have a MAC access list and WEP encryption.
>
>Or am I missing something here?

The D-Link ethernet router is gigabit rated, far better quality than the
Linksys wireless router. Hence, it seems logical to me that the D-Link
should be the first in line after the cable modem. The D-Link goes to a
16-port switch, also gigabit rated, as is all the house wiring.

I just tried it once more. First, I factory reset the Linksys, which
gave it 192.168.1.1. I cannot connect to that over ethernet, but my
laptop can connect to it wirelessly. I did so, then changed its IP
address to 192.168.0.3. Finally, I disconnected the laptop from the
wireless leaving it connected only by ethernet. Then I accessed
192.168.0.3 from the browser. It popped up a box asking for username
and password, and after supplying the defaults, it opened up in the
browser.

So now we know for a fact that the D-Link can send and receive data via
ethernet to the Linksys.

However, if I disable the DHCP server on the Linksys the phone can't get
an IP address. If I enable DHCP on the Linksys then the phone gets an IP
address and can connect, but the IP address is assigned by the Linksys
and the phone still can't go out on the internet.

The D-Link is not passing an IP address through to the phone.

In fact, the D-Link won't pass an IP address to the laptop either. If I
disable the ethernet connection on the laptop, and enable just the
wireless connection to the Linksys on the laptop, the laptop can't get
out on the internet either.

I think that all I need to do is get the D-Link to give IP addresses to
devices that are connected to the Linksys, but I haven't been able to
figure out how to do that.

I also note that at the very top of the main setup page there is a
dropdown box with the following options:

	Automatic Configuration DHCP
	Static IP
	PPPoE (Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet)
	PPTP (Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol)

Automatic Configuration DHCP is the default and I haven't tried any of
the other settings. Note that the place to turn on/off the DHCP server
is further down the page. This setting is apparently to comply with the
requirements of an ISP.