[PLUG] Setting up Linksys WRT54GL

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Mar 28 15:35:54 UTC 2011

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 22:19:15 -0700
wes <plug at the-wes.com> dijo:

>> I also note that at the very top of the main setup page there is a
>> dropdown box with the following options:
>>
>>        Automatic Configuration DHCP
>>        Static IP
>>        PPPoE (Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet)
>>        PPTP (Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol)
>>
>> Automatic Configuration DHCP is the default and I haven't tried any
>> of the other settings. Note that the place to turn on/off the DHCP
>> server is further down the page. This setting is apparently to
>> comply with the requirements of an ISP.

>Correct. These options relate to the Linksys' WAN IP, the one assigned
>by the upstream device (usually your ISP). since you're not using the
>WAN port on your router, these options are unrelevant.
>
>Have you checked for firmware updates? If there is no "AP Isolation"
>option, it may be something that is enabled and they just hadn't put
>the option to turn it off into the firmware that is currently
>installed on your device.

Excellent suggestion. The Linksys web site did have a firmware upgrade
(from 2.0 to 4.3) and I just applied it. The setup screens are now very
different, lots of different options. And the help information is now
right on the same page instead of having to click on "more..." to get a
new page with the help.

After applying the firmware upgrade you have to reset to factory
defaults. I did so, then set the IP address to 192.168.0.3 (via
wireless, because 192.168.1.1 is not visible to my ethernet), then
turned off wireless connection and was able to get to it by ethernet.
Then I turned off DHCP server and went to Setup > Advanced routing,
clicked on the Show Routing Table button, and copied the Destination
Lan IP and Subnet mask into the fields.

Then I tried to connect the phone. Still could get an IP address from
the D-Link. Finally, I went back to the Linksys setup and turned DHCP
server back on, then was able to connect the phone. But the phone still
cannot go anywhere.

So the firmware upgrade is an improvement, but did not resolve the
problem. The Linksys is still not passing an IP address from the D-Link
to the phone.