[PLUG] sshpass and ubuntu

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Mon Mar 28 22:09:14 UTC 2011

On 03/28/2011 03:34 PM, Carlos Konstanski wrote:
> On 03/28/2011 03:13 PM, chris (fool) mccraw wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 14:02, Carlos Konstanski
>> <ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com> wrote:
>>> I am trying to use sshpass to log onto an Ubuntu server. While sshpass works
>>> great when logging onto Gentoo hosts, it hangs forever when connecting to
>>> Ubuntu hosts. I tried fiddling with sshd_config with no luck. Any ideas?

I was fooled by authorized keys. sshpass actually is failing no matter what
distro the remote host is, provided I don't have a key installed.

ps on the client shows something interesting. The password looks to be
munged. My password is not zzzzzzz:

sshpass -p zzzzzzz ssh -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no
ckonstanski at vir.ps.isu.edu echo hi

So now the problem is to figure out:

- is this really the password sshpass is sending, or is it just obfuscating
it for security reasons?

- why the hell is it munging the password for chrissakes?

Carlos