[PLUG] Algorithm's (sic) and Compilers PSU...

Mike Connors mconnors1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 20:51:12 UTC 2011

> However, I think he needs to get a grip and realize that he is solely
> responsible for what he learns, how quickly he learns it, and how far he
> can go with it. I don't think I'm far wrong to surmise that almost
> everyone on this mailing list is self-taught in part if not all parts of
> computer science, software programming in general, Linux and other
> operating systems. Michael has to suck it up and either learn or not.
>
> Certainly no one taught me IBM mainframe assembly language when I had to
> learn it. I learned it by reading and doing it, a process of trial and
> error, and I took what I learned and made a good living at it for about
> 20 years. But no one handed it to me, or tutored me. I learned, because
> I worked at it. I focused on it, and was not unfocused, then.

Ageed! Teachers don't exist to make computer scientists out of every
person who takes their course. In fact they can't make anything out of
anyone. What they can do is facilitate your learning and some of them
are a far bit more effective at it than others. We're living in the
information age. You don't have to rely on one teacher to show you the
hidden secrets as if you were learning some ancient martial arts
style.

To put it in words Michael can relate to, "seek and ye shall find". Be
a seeker of knowledge. Start now.

In more practical terms. What about talking to one's classmates and
see if they're having similar difficulties and/or start a study group.