[PLUG] The Future of Broadband in Portland

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Thu Mar 31 19:52:34 UTC 2011

>>>>> "glen" == glen e p ropella <gepr at tempusdictum.com> writes:

glen> Russell Senior wrote at 03/31/2011 11:40 AM:

Russell> I want to alert the PLUG community, particularly those that
Russell> work or live in the City of Portland and want fiber someday,
Russell> to a series of public meetings to discuss a Broadband
Russell> Strategic Plan that the City is working on.  I served on a
Russell> working group to help with the process.  I am not sure of the
Russell> meeting schedule yet, but back in January the plan was to
Russell> have the hearings in April and a council vote on a finalized
Russell> Plan in June.

Russell> [...]

Russell> If you live in Portland, want fiber someday, and don't want
Russell> to be perpetually screwed, I urge you to write, attend these
Russell> meetings, and make your voice heard.

glen> Is a regular poll of this page the best way to stay aware?

glen>    http://www.portlandonline.com/cable/index.cfm?c=54013

glen> Or is there some other, better, more _pushy_ method for keeping
glen> myself aware?

That's as good a place to watch as any.  I have just ping'd Mary Beth
Henry (the person leading the effort) to inquire.  I am likely to let
you know here as soon as I've heard anything. :-)

You could also email them at the address below to let them know you are
interested in the issue, and that competition and capacity to your
homes is important to you and that you want to see a plan that serves
more than a few percent of the population.  Or, hell, you could just
cut and paste my 7.5 steps to Success if you agree and/or are lazy.
Or just say "I'll have what Personal Telco is having" if you are even
lazier.  Include "Broadband Strategic Plan" somewhere in the subject
line.

  cffranchiseinfo at portlandoregon.gov

--
Russell Senior, President