[PLUG] Natty is here

Mike Connors mconnors1 at gmail.com
Tue May 3 02:46:42 UTC 2011

> Give half of them Natty and half of them Maverick. Make each user work
> alone at home so none sees what any of the others are doing. Give them
> specific user type tasks, such as "write a letter to a potential
> employer," "write a term paper for school," "find the meanings of terms
> on wikipedia," and so on. Include computer type tasks like "move a file
> from one folder to another," "make a backup," and such. Make enough
> tasks that it will take them 30 hours or more working with the OS. You
> may wish to start them all with the task of installing the OS.
>
> Make pointed opinion questionnaires to complete at the end of each task,
> where the results are numerical so they can be quantified.
>
> Quantify and compare the results. Send a copy to Shuttleworth.

I think that's actually a fairly decent UI functionality test. In
addition, the computers also
could be set up to do a video screen cap to record all the mouse
movements and keyboard strokes. That
way you'd really know how intuitive it is for the user to move around
in the UI and how many keyboard strokes
and mouse clicks it takes to do each task.

Of course, by the sound of other people's opinions of how Shuttleworth
is running things, he probably
wouldn't care too much about all that data.