[PLUG] Natty is here

Russell Johnson russ at dimstar.net
Tue May 3 16:04:16 UTC 2011

On May 2, 2011, at 9:22 PM, Mike Connors wrote:

> Fedora on my T60 performed horrendously.

While I do not have much experience installing on many laptops, I can speak to Redhat/CentOS/Fedora.

I shy away from Fedora, just as I shy away from a .0 release of most software. Fedora is, as Redhat puts it, The community, bleeding edge distribution. I read that as, "We test things here. Don't expect everything to work." Some have very good luck with it. I choose to not put myself in that position. I need my computer to work, for work.

CentOS, on the other hand, is RHEL, without any of the RedHat proprietary stuff. It should be, and in my experience is, very stable. I've installed it on various hardware without issue. The CentOS team takes the RHEL open source tree, and reconstitutes it.

RPM has it's issues. So does dpkg/apt-get. So does the windows registry. All can be worked around.

All OSes suck. Some just suck worse than others. :)

Russell Johnson
russ at dimstar.net