[PLUG] Natty is here; Update

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Thu May 5 16:15:19 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 8:25 AM, Alexander Case <alexander.case at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm pretty sure HP still makes those. I don't know if there are Linux
> drivers for their monitors (the rotation part, that is.)

xrandr handles rotations just fine (as does at least one of the gnome
xrandr font-ends).  Gnome settings even has an option for switching
the RGB orientation for sub-pixel rendering.

I tried this for a while. While it was great to have a vertical 16x9
monitor, the viewing angles were clearly not designed for that
orientation.  It was pretty much impossible to see colors the same
across the entire height of the monitor, and left-right viewing was
non-uniform (there was a higher viewing angle in one direction than
the other, I don't recall which was which).  In some situations, text
or widgets would "disappear" because the viewing angle was just far
enough off (the color would appear distorted enough that things would
blend into the background--move your head up a few inches and you'd be
able to see that portion, while loosing detail where you were looking
before).

There *is* clearly a difference in quality between monitors, because
the tablets I've used haven't had these viewing issues when rotated --
but it's something to pay attention to if you're buying a desktop LCD
with the intention of rotating it.

--Rogan