[PLUG] monitor aspect ratios

Rick rdoyle16+plug at gmail.com
Fri May 6 23:56:03 UTC 2011

Actually... not to be a nit-picker, but...

1680x1050 is a 16:10 aspect ratio (which was pretty standard on widescreens
a couple/few years ago)... but now the world has moved mostly to 16:9 (so
that most all displays - TV and computer are the same, since widescreen TV's
have pretty much always been 16:9). A typical 22" 16:9 resolution would be
1920x1080.

Also... for the record... 1280x1024 is actually one of those 5:4 aspect
ratios mentioned earlier in the thread... but... and I've never actually
measured (so I really don't know)... they MIGHT space the pixels differently
in one direction than the other so that it will fit a 4:3 panel. Does anyone
know if this is the case?

I agree that I prefer the 4:3 (or 5:4) displays over the widescreens AT THE
SAME PRICE POINT... but, if I can afford it... I'd rather have a 24"
widescreen than a 19" 4:3/5:4. Those two monitors will be roughly the same
screen height... but the widescreen has more real estate and slightly more
vertical pixels.