[PLUG] RHEL, CentOS, SL

chris (fool) mccraw gently at gmail.com
Fri May 13 19:31:10 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 12:14, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:
> I run Scientific Linux, "SL", a Red Hat Enterprise Linux clone.
> The most widely used clone of RHEL is CentOS, but there may be
> troubles in that community.  We are getting about 5 refugees a
> day from CentOS showing up on our mailing list and forums.
>
> Any CentOS users here?  I'm hoping the tales of woe are
> overblown, and CentOS is still healthy and moving forwards.
> If something happens to SL, I would rather not have RHEL as
> the only practical alternative.

I don't use centos by choice but most of my clients do (and so i am
dealing with it frequently and even have a VM on my laptop with it
in).

i have to admit my involvement with the centos community has been slim
of late, but the last time i had to report a kernel driver issue, i
just filled out the bugzilla form and they responded quickly,
usefully, and most importantly handled getting me in touch with the
right people upstream at redhat and the driver maintainer to determine
a fix (incidentally, redhat were also really quick and useful,
especially considering i am in no way a customer of theirs)--before
they were even convinced my bu was a real bug that others might
experience (it was, but it wasn't due to the hardware i expected--it
was the (brand new) motherboard's bios that wanted an update.  that
was about 5 months ago, though.

so i would say things were looking good back then, at any rate?