[PLUG] CentOS...

Michael C. Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Fri May 13 20:32:47 UTC 2011

I run CentOS on multiple servers and Fedora 14 on my desktop machine.

Here are the real problems that I see:

RPM and yum can still be improved.  I want to be able to list all the
non RPM owned files at a glance.  This is useful if a tarball is
installed and you don't know where it's files were placed.

Redhat Enterprise Linux is binary compatible with a lot of the
commercial software available for Linux.  Is Debian, Slackware, or
Ubuntu able to run everything that RHEL can?

Fedora which is so new and cutting edge is constantly receiving patches
for everything imaginable.

Dirk Dashing secret Agent still doesn't work correctly on my 64 bit AMD
system.

The idea of an enterprise Linux system is to do a feature freeze of
sorts and focus on critical bugs more.  Unfortunately, this means a
feature weak system.

I prefer CentOS over SL if SL is not binary compatible with RHEL.