[PLUG] Netgear GS116 Gigabit switch died. Maybe.

Neal nsedell at gmail.com
Tue May 24 01:51:57 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 6:27 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
> I have had a Netgear 16-port gigabit switch, model GS116, for several
> years. There is also a D-Link gigabit ethernet router, a Linksys WRT54G
> wireless router, and a cable modem in the network.

NetGear GS108 switches are (in)famous for having two caps of
questionable durability on one of the supply rails. If you can power
it on with nothing plugged in to anyport and it sits there without
blinking, but starts blinking once you get a few ports hooked up/busy,
that's a good sign.

Pop 'er open and see what value the larger electrolytic caps are.