[PLUG] Cleaning electronic equipment - was Is my monitor dying?

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Tue May 24 21:17:07 UTC 2011

On 05/24/2011 12:08 PM, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> But the easiest thing to fix, and a likely cause of your
> problem, is dust.  High voltage systems attract dust, and
> cat hair, and all sorts of crap, which can overload
> (temporarily) the inverter.  Bachelor lifestyles are not
> good for dust control.  Taking the monitor apart and
> cleaning the dust out with vacuum and Q-tips might help.
> Compressed air is fast, but creates static electricity.

I respect your education and experience on hardware issues, but I have
to ask about it anyway. Years ago I was taught not to use a vacuum
cleaner to remove dust because it creates static electricity by the high
velocity air moving through the plastic nozzle of the vacuum, and that
canned air was the non-static solution.

Did the rules change, or was I given a bum steer?

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens