[PLUG] grub issue updated

MJang mike at linuxexam.com
Sun May 29 22:47:29 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-05-29 at 09:52 -0700, Bruce Kilpatrick wrote:
> On 05/26/2011 07:25 PM, Derek Loree wrote:

> >> You don't need to reinstall, nor touch the mbr.  The beauty of grub is
> >> that the MBR looks at that file.  Change the file and your boot should
> >> work.  The trick is determining where the partitions are and setting the
> >> locations in grub.cfg appropriately.
> Well, I know a little more than I did...Grub was installed to the MBR of
> the memory stick that held the Debian install iso.  Once up and running
> I had more issues than Grub.  More on that with a new topic, maybe.
>
> This may be as far as I get to play with this problem.  A simple
> reinstall may be the easiest fix for me.  I just wanted to see and
> tinker with Debian.

I assume you figured out how to use grub-install to get the GRUB pointer
into the MBR of the appropriate physical drive?

> /home directory issues may keep me from mixing Fedora and Debian.

I have RHEL 6 and Ubuntu Lucid on the same laptop, sharing the
same /home directory. The key for me was to set up all UIDs/GIDs in the
RHEL database starting with 1000.

I boot into either, and can still use my /home configured tools (e.g.
browser, PIM, e-mail, etc) in the same way on both systems.

Thanks,
Mike