[PLUG] Linux 3.0 on its way

Michael C. Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Mon May 30 06:41:05 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-05-29 at 22:50 -0700, Russell Senior wrote:
> Seen recently:
>
>   http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1147415
>

> --
> Russell Senior, President
> russell at personaltelco.net

Well, doesn't changing the major number mean a major freeze?
In essence, the first 3.0 release should be a massively bug
fixed 2.6 kernel.

I'm a little confused about the seemingly arbitrary decision to jump to
Linux 3 over say Linux 2.6.50 or Linux 2.8.0.  I was expecting a 2.8
series to come out at some point.  I think a new kernel that does not
significantly depart from 2.6 should be called 2.8.xx instead of 3.0.xx.

I suggest the Linux kernel developers work on NFS root, I've seen slow
change since the 2.4 kernel which has lead to much confusion on my part
because the HOWTO's don't seem to be catching up.  Getting error
messages like don't use mknbi-linux, use mkelf-linux is a bit much.
Turns out, there is apparently some other tool now that is supposed to
be used instead of mkelf-linux.

Oh, another area I suggest focusing on is how you connect a Linux box to
an HDTV and actually get the screen, text or graphical, to fit.  I've
had no shortage of frustration dealing with this problem and so far I've
only been able to use Windows XP which is totally unworkable.

Another thing, around 2.6.18 or so some major compatibility issues
cropped up.  There have been some creeping changes in the 2.6.xx
kernels, I hope decisions that need to be made are made and that
the kernel stabilizes for a while.