[PLUG] grub issue updated

Bruce kd7vvk at gmail.com
Mon May 30 16:41:36 UTC 2011

On 5/29/2011 3:47 PM, MJang wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-05-29 at 09:52 -0700, Bruce Kilpatrick wrote:

>> Well, I know a little more than I did...Grub was installed to the MBR of
>> the memory stick that held the Debian install iso.  Once up and running
>> I had more issues than Grub.  More on that with a new topic, maybe.
>>
>> This may be as far as I get to play with this problem.  A simple
>> reinstall may be the easiest fix for me.  I just wanted to see and
>> tinker with Debian.
> I assume you figured out how to use grub-install to get the GRUB pointer
> into the MBR of the appropriate physical drive?
>> /home directory issues may keep me from mixing Fedora and Debian.
> I have RHEL 6 and Ubuntu Lucid on the same laptop, sharing the
> same /home directory. The key for me was to set up all UIDs/GIDs in the
> RHEL database starting with 1000.
>
> I boot into either, and can still use my /home configured tools (e.g.
> browser, PIM, e-mail, etc) in the same way on both systems.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Mike,

Is there a way to do that without going through the list one by one and
making the changes to fit the Debian uid/gid model?

I have not yet done the enough research to find the total answer for the
grub issue.  I have found several web pages to start the learning
process of booting from a live cd and reinstalling grub2.  I suppose I
could just update the Fedora grub and Debian would then be listed...

Bruce