[PLUG] Working with suPHP on Apache 2

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Thu Nov 3 20:53:09 UTC 2011

Does anyone have a good site reference for how to work with suPHP on
Apache 2?

Using Synaptic, I installed apache2, which brought along
apache2.2-common and apache2.2-bin.
The version is 2.2.14-5ubuntu8.6.

Next I installed suphp-common and libapache2-mod-suphp which brought
along php5-common and php 5-cgi.
Both suphp packages are version 0.7.1-1. The php5 packages are version
5.3.2-1ubuntu4.10.

If I browse to localhost the "It works!" page opens, showing that Apache
is working. If I change the name from index.html to index.php I get the
"500 Internal Server Error" error message.

I'm assuming that there must be something different in the way php files
are handled, or perhaps there's something else I was supposed to do that
doesn't show up in the installation instructions I've read.

Pointers to appropriate documentation are appreciated.

Thanks.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens