[PLUG] Working with suPHP on Apache 2

David Bridges dbridges at austin.rr.com
Fri Nov 4 13:50:24 UTC 2011

Sorry, I don't have a link for you but a few simple tips might help you.

When using suphp ownership of files is very import.  I'm not sure what
kind of defaults Ubuntu ships with but looking in /etc/suphp/suphp.conf
will more than likely help you understand things a bit better.

A couple of points:

The docroot directive specifies which directories should use suphp.
This is very handy if you want to use suphp for some directories but not
for others.  Some web applications install stuff in say /usr/share and
that stuff usually does not work well under suphp unless you change
ownership of all files.

There are also directives named min_uid and min_gid, these restrict who
can run php scripts under the docroot directory.

More than likely since you are getting 500 errors this is due to the
user/group of the web pages being lower that what is allowed.

Checking /var/log/suphp/suphp.log might prove to be a valuable resource.

Hope this helps

--
David