[PLUG] Linux equivalent to Camtasia

Jason LaPier jason.lapier at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 14:16:16 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 10:23 PM, MJang <mike at linuxexam.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> (note -- this is a "resend' after I realized that PLUG was down for a
> bit. Forgive me if the message appears twice.)
>
> Just wondering if there's a Linux equivalent to Camtasia, for recording
> "lecture"-like demos. I'd like to be able to switch between OOo Impress
> presentations and active views of the command line / other admin tools.
> If it matters, I think my publisher would be looking for AVI files.
>
> I've heard xvidtune can do such, but don't see any clues from the man
> page (or my searches), except some references that suggest that it would
> be too crude for production.

I think what you're looking for is xvidcap: http://xvidcap.sourceforge.net/

There are only a handful of screencasting options for linux, and most have
limitations of one kind or another (mostly in what kind of video they
output). Here's a short list of the best options:
http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20090720142023520/Screencasting.html

- Jason L.