[PLUG] Promising GNOME Shell tweaks.

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Nov 7 22:50:41 UTC 2011

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 11:54:07 -0800
Matt McKenzie <lnxknight at gmail.com> dijo:

>> It was not clear to me from the article if the new shell options will
>> be available to all users of Gnome 3, or just users of Gnome 3 on
>> Mint 12.

>>From my reading of it, it seems like it is a feature of Linux Mint 12.
>One would hope they would open source these additions and make them
>available upstream (at least to Ubuntu, if not any GNOME using distro).
>
>It sounds like a good idea to me.  I didn't see mention of it, but
>would hope there are also options to add back in some more control
>options, GNOME 3 control panel looks desolate compared to GNOME 2.  I
>agree with the main point of simplifying things for new users, but at
>the expense of power users being able to tweak things (power users
>which still make up a large percentage of Linux users) I disagree
>with.  A setting somewhere that says "I know what I'm doing, give me
>options dagnabbit" would have been welcome.
>
>My point of view comes from using mostly Fedora 15, and some Ubuntu
>11.x and Linux Mint 11.

I am using Fedora 14 on my laptop and have held off upgrading to Fedora
15 just because I really dislike the appearance of Gnome 3. In fact, at
the moment I am trying to move to KDE (cf. my questions in another
thread). If I can just figure out how to tweak a few more things I
might just stick with KDE.

It used to be that Gnome was simple and uncluttered and KDE looked like
a circus. Now it seems that things have reversed themselves.