[PLUG] Desperate! Fedora 16 upgrade killed X

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Nov 17 01:59:28 UTC 2011

I had Fedora 14 x86_64 working fine on my Thinkpad T61. Last night I made a full backup and today I upgraded to Fedora 16. The upgrade proceeded withoui error. I can boot into Recovery Mode (gives me terminal as root), but I can't get X to come up.

Probably unrelated but, while at the command line as root, I have no network. I did "ifconfig eth0 up" and then I could see eth0 in the list of interfaces, but I still cannot go anywhere. I can't even ping my printers. I need to fix that as well, else I won't be able to install anything.

The error message (echoed in /var/log/Xorg.o.log) is:

	Fatal server error: no screens found.

I was using the nVidia driver, so I renamed /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but I got the same error when it tried to use the nouveau driver.

At the moment it is booted to the Fedora 16 Live CD, and running fine at 1680x1050. Therefore, it is not Fedora 16 per se, but rather something in the upgrade that got messed up.

I need suggestions badly!