[PLUG] Desperate! Fedora 16 upgrade killed X

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Nov 17 03:10:00 UTC 2011

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 17:59:28 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:

> Probably unrelated but, while at the command line as root, I have no network. I did "ifconfig eth0 up" and then I could see eth0 in the list of interfaces, but I still cannot go anywhere. I can't even ping my printers. I need to fix that as well, else I won't be able to install anything.

OK, ifconfig shows only lo, but after I do ifconfig eth0 up and ifconfig wlan0 up the ifconfig command shows them both. However, neither has an IP address. (There are both ethernet and wireless  availabe to the computer.)

Lspci shows both devices. And I was booted to a Fedora 16 live CD and it had no problem with networking. So we know the hardware is fine. Lsmod shows iwl4965, but nothing that I can identify as the module for ethernet. "modprobe iwl4965" executes without error, but does nothing. Then again, maybe the wireless device really is available now and I just need to do something to get it connected to the WRT54G. There are commands to find and connect to access points, but I can't remember them.