[PLUG] Desperate! Fedora 16 upgrade killed X

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Thu Nov 17 05:56:30 UTC 2011

On 11/16/2011 07:10 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 17:59:28 -0800
> John Jason Jordan<johnxj at comcast.net>  dijo:
>
>> Probably unrelated but, while at the command line as root, I have no network. I did "ifconfig eth0 up" and then I could see eth0 in the list of interfaces, but I still cannot go anywhere. I can't even ping my printers. I need to fix that as well, else I won't be able to install anything.
> OK, ifconfig shows only lo, but after I do ifconfig eth0 up and ifconfig wlan0 up the ifconfig command shows them both. However, neither has an IP address. (There are both ethernet and wireless  availabe to the computer.)

Possibly an undereducated long shot but ...

Do you get your IP addresses from your router or do you assign static IP
addresses? If the former, is there a DHCP client running? (I think
that's the right end of the stick.) If not, then wouldn't that mean your
system never asks for an IP address?

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens