[PLUG] Desperate! Fedora 16 upgrade killed X

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 00:24:53 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Joshua Lock <incandescant at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm sorry, but I have to call FUD here. The reason John didn't have
> wireless *configured* in his recovery session is because it was.... a
> recovery session.

Ah, I wasn't thinking about the recovery session, and I'll admit that
my network-less experiences have been with Ubuntu and Debian, and also
with wifi.  It's not clear from the OP's description of problems
whether the working internet is wired or not, since both have featured
in this thread.  I would be surprised if fedora is able to connect to
an WAP that was configured via a user-space GUI prior to anyone
logging in.

Power management is another thing entirely -- I've had continual
problems with suspend/resume on Fedora 15, Debian and Ubuntu for the
last 2-3 years.  I can't recall a recent distro that would properly
suspend/resume before someone logged in.

Perhaps you've had better luck,  I still worry about snapping a laptop
shut and putting it straight into a bag w/out confirming that it is
actually turning off.

--Rogan