[PLUG] Setting IP address of WRT54G

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Sat Nov 19 07:25:34 UTC 2011

Is it possible to change the IP address range of a WRT54G ver. 6 from
192.168.1.x to 192.168.0.x?

I'm replacing my venerable Netgear router with a Linksys. If you
followed my thread a few weeks ago you might remember I was experiencing
slow download speeds going through the Netgear router. Power cycling the
router cleared that problem a few weeks ago, but didn't this morning --
I got 7.15 Mbps through the router and 25 Mbps connected directly. So I
figured I'd better replace the Netgear with one of the WRT54Gs I have in
the closet.

When I first put the WRT54G in place I connected it to my cable modem
and to my desktop machine. I tried to access the WRT54G's setup at
192.168.1.1 but my desktop machine would not see it. I temporarily
changed my desktop machine's IP address from 192.168.0.253 to
192.168.1.253 and was able to connect to the configuration page on the
router and set it up. After saving the configuration of the router I was
unable to connect to the Internet through it.

Knowing I have multiple problems, I tried to put the Netgear router back
in place for the evening, but it won't talk to the Internet either. I
just got off the phone with a friendly Comcast Tech Support guy who was
able to see the modem, and see that it was passing a signal to the
router. I can connect to the router and see the IP address Comcast has
assigned to the WAN side so I know the connection between the router and
my desktop. (I'm sending this from my laptop, which gets a DHCP provided
IP address, and is connected directly to the modem.)

Any pointers on where to start solving any of this problems will be
appreciated.

Thanks.

--
Regards,