[PLUG] Buying a used laptop - questions

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Nov 19 23:23:01 UTC 2011

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011, Richard Owlett wrote:

> The local used computer store seems to have a assortment of Dell, Toshiba,
> and Acer. Any gotcha's to watch for?

   I've installed and run linux on several Toshiba models (4, actually) with
no problems. I've also experience with an IBM ThinkPad 600E (too old, don't
buy one), a Sony Vaio, and my current portable, the Dell Latitude. Most
distributions will work well on these.

> At home I'm restricted to dial-up access I have to deal with modem issues
> and will assume that any internal modem will be a "win modem(sic or
> sick?). I have a USB USRobotics modem which operates as long as the kernel
> is recent enough. If the internal modem works it will be considered a
> bonus.

   Don't assume winmodems any longer. The world's moved past that as far as I
know.

> For downloading larger files I'll use the Wifi hotspot at
> local library. Will I have problems there?

   My suggestion is to get a live disk that boots a ubuntu (I favor xubuntu
but that's because I've used xfce for very many years). Take the disk with
you and use it to boot prospective machines. You'll see if it recognizes
everything in the case, including wifi and video. If it does, buy the box
and installed from the disk.

   Rather than futzing with a bunch of distributions, pick one and make sure
the hardware you buy supports it. Then use it long enough to form an opinion
whether it meets _your_ needs and suits _your_ preferences. Then you can
consider changing distributions.

   Of course, if your purpose is to tinker with linux then my suggestion is
withdrawn. I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that you want to use the
portable for work and any distribution that does what you need in a way that
you understand will do.

Good luck,