[PLUG] Resolved: Setting IP address of WRT54G

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at cyber-office.net
Sat Nov 19 23:39:53 UTC 2011

Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> On 11/19/2011 09:57 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Nov 2011, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know which network tool is now the "correct" one for playing with
>>> network connections.
>> Dick,
>>
>>     I don't know for sure what the ubuntus call it, but on Slackware it's
>> inetd. IIRC in xubuntu it's in /etc/network/ or something similar.
>
> Sure enough. In /etc/network there is a file named interfaces. Mine says:
>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
> address 192.168.0.253
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> gateway 192.168.0.1
>
> Looks like that's where I would change it if it ever needs changing in
> the future.

If I followed what you were trying to do; here is what I've done in the
past.

Tell my system using the arp command which IP address is assigned to
which MAC address.

    arp -s <IP> <MAC>

An example from my home workstation.

    arp -s 192.168.3.42 00:18:39:78:82:37

Be sure to select an IP in your local network's block that is not
currently being used.  Most special purpose devices have the MAC address
printed on the label (on the bottom).

Then use the above IP to access the device.  Once connected you can make
the changes using the device's control/configuration interface.

\\||/
Rod