[PLUG] Lost root password

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Nov 20 05:09:00 UTC 2011

During the recent melée of trying get X running again after upgrading
from Fedora 14 to Fedora 16 I somehow lost my root password. That is,
it no longer works.

Sudo still works, and I can "sudo su" to a root # prompt, but if I type
"su" and enter the root password it won't take it. I've poked in all
the GUI windows for users and groups, but can't figure out how to reset
the root password.

It used to be that "su" + root password got me to #, and I could "su
jjj" to switch back to my own lovable self. I don't mind using sudo,
but sometimes you need to do a lot of stuff and having to put sudo in
front all the time is a pain. Plus, Fedora doesn't remember your sudo
password for ten minutes or so like Ubuntu does.

Can someone point me in the right direction to restore my root
password?