[PLUG] Lost root password

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Sun Nov 20 06:29:13 UTC 2011

>>>>> "John" == John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> writes:

John> On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 21:28:35 -0800 Daniel Johnson
John> <teknotus at gmail.com> dijo:

>> sudo -i

John> On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 21:23:11 -0800 Larry Brigman
John> <larry.brigman at gmail.com> dijo:

>> sudo su - passwd root

John> I understand there are differences between sudo and actually
John> being root. Do these make me really root? 'Cause I need to feel
John> the power.

Sudo'ing to root, and resetting the password ought to make su work
again.

I personally like: "sudo -s" to get a root shell, the you can "passwd
root" or maybe even just "passwd" to reset the root password.

John> And why could I become root with just su before, but now it
John> won't take the password?

Caps Lock? :-)

I am not a Fedora user, so maybe it's some new kevlar-sock thing
(i.e. to prevent you shooting yourself in the foot).

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net