[PLUG] Buying a used laptop - questions

Richard Owlett rowlett at pcnetinc.com
Sun Nov 20 13:35:58 UTC 2011

Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Nov 2011, Richard Owlett wrote:
>
>> The local used computer store seems to have a assortment of Dell, Toshiba,
>> and Acer. Any gotcha's to watch for?
>
>     I've installed and run Linux on several Toshiba models (4, actually) with
> no problems. I've also experience with an IBM ThinkPad 600E (too old, don't
> buy one), a Sony Vaio, and my current portable, the Dell Latitude. Most
> distributions will work well on these.
>
>> At home I'm restricted to dial-up access I have to deal with modem issues
>> and will assume that any internal modem will be a "win modem(sic or
>> sick?). I have a USB USRobotics modem which operates as long as the kernel
>> is recent enough. If the internal modem works it will be considered a
>> bonus.
>
>     Don't assume winmodems any longer. The world's moved past that as far as I
> know.
>
>> For downloading larger files I'll use the Wifi hotspot at
>> local library. Will I have problems there?
>
>     My suggestion is to get a live disk that boots a ubuntu (I favor xubuntu
> but that's because I've used xfce for very many years). Take the disk with
> you and use it to boot prospective machines. You'll see if it recognizes
> everything in the case, including wifi and video. If it does, buy the box
> and installed from the disk.

I planned to sort of flip that procedure to achieve the same
goal. The store has a batch of computers in their back room
that have yet to go thru their checkout procedure - due out
in ~1 week. They will send me a list of make, model, ram,
disk size, and price. I'll do some research and make an
initial choice from that information. I do have several
distros on CD &/or USB to use for a final Go/NOGO test.

>     Rather than futzing with a bunch of distributions,

WHAT? Take all the fun out of Life ;>

> pick one and make sure
> the hardware you buy supports it. Then use it long enough to form an opinion
> whether it meets _your_ needs and suits _your_ preferences. Then you can
> consider changing distributions.
>
>     Of course, if your purpose is to tinker with linux then my suggestion is
> withdrawn. I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that you want to use the
> portable for work and any distribution that does what you need in a way that
> you understand will do.

Who me? Tinker?
Left out one environmental issue - I'm *RETIRED* .

Long term, maybe dream rather than goal, a lean mean
computing machine.
I don't like the glitzy swiss army knife approach of MS and
some Linuxes.