[PLUG] Find files by metadata

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Nov 24 05:19:37 UTC 2011

I'm trying to locate (and then copy) all desktop application files on
my computer. These are text files that contain launch information
for applications. In a GUI file browser they are all referred to as
"desktop configuration files" in the File Type column. That is, the GUI
file browser knows that it should classify the file as being of that
sort. But there is no unique extension or other obvious way that the
file browser can tell what kind of file it is.

So how does the file browser know? Do these files emit an odor that only
a file browser can smell? And can I use that aroma in a find or copy
command?