[PLUG] Tiny "desktop" computers

Eric Wilhelm enobacon at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 09:06:56 UTC 2011

# from Keith Lofstrom
# on Wednesday 23 November 2011 12:56:

>The EEE boxes work OK, and I expect ASUS to keep making them.
>One of mine may be getting a little flakey.  Time to buy a
>just-in-case spare to minimize downtime.
>
>But before I do, now is a good time to review the landscape.
>The ASUS+Atom is just powerful enough.  By now, there may
>be more powerful machines of the same size, using the same
>power, perhaps more reliable or cheaper.  Perhaps something
>with an eSATA port.

The atom with ION vs intel graphics was a huge difference in
responsiveness on my wife's desktop system.

I'm not thrilled with the atom CPUs in her desktop or laptop.  I haven't
had a chance to try the latest mobile / low-power AMD CPUs (e.g. some
thinkpad x120e), but I suspect they might have less tendency to melt
due to mis-stated TDP and undersized fan problem that most atom CPUs
seem to have.

I guess the question is how well "AMD Radeon HD 6310" works with Linux?
There are a few 'booksize' machines on newegg with the E-350 and that
chip.

--Eric
--
Moving pianos is dangerous.