[PLUG] Virtual Terminal Line Wrap

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Nov 25 21:59:51 UTC 2011

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011, Joe Pruett wrote:

> hmm, if the single line of text is wrapping, that sounds like
> shell/readline helping you out.  i'm not sure where to look for options,
> but maybe it will give you another direction to check into.  if the entire
> screen is shifting, then it sounds like a horizontal scrollbar should be
> showing up, i.e. a fixed size screen with a window made smaller than that.

Joe,

   Long command lines shift left instead of wrapping (as they did before). I
read the readline man page this morning and learned that I need
horizontal-scroll-mode set to Off in ~/.inputrc. I had it incorrectly set to
On, but changing it to Off makes no difference (after logging out and back
in).

   Yes, it seems to be a readline or bash issue, but I don't know enough of
either to know where to look.

Thanks,