[PLUG] Tiny "desktop" computers

Eric Wilhelm enobacon at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 06:49:10 UTC 2011

# from Denis Heidtmann
# on Friday 25 November 2011 10:39:

>> The atom with ION vs intel graphics was a huge difference in
>> responsiveness on my wife's desktop system....
>
>This may be obvious to most here, but not to me: which was more
> responsive?

Ah, yes:  ION.  If you lookup an ion benchmark, you'll see the intel 945
scoring ~1/4 of the GeForce performance.

I'm using the nvidia-supplied just-free-beer-but-hey-it-works driver --
haven't tried the open source one.  Of course, the benchmarks I've seen
were run on windows.

It looks like the open-source radeon driver might work better than the
ati-supplied one, but I haven't had an ati card in anything for about a
decade.

--Eric
--
I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a
desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.